Am I a Candidate for ReLEx SMILE ?
ReLEx SMILE procedure offers many patients the opportunity to dramatically reduce or even eliminate their need for glasses or contact lenses by correcting refractive areas directly on the eye.
Dr Anand Shroff, our SMILE surgeon will guide you immediately after the evaluation if all the tests done for both quantitative (refraction) and qualitative (quality of vison) functions find you eligible for ReLEx SMILE.
- ReLEx SMILE is advised only after age 18 years and when the eye powers are stable for over a year. If one continues growing in height, the power would also change. In some cases where they seek ReLEx SMILE for careers such as Navy, Police etc, it can be considered earlier if the powers are stable.
- RelEx SMILE corrects refractive errors within the following diopter ranges:
- Myopia: 0.50 to -10.00
- Astigmatism: +/- 0.50 to +/- 6.00
Especially beneficial for the following candidates:
- High powers achieve better quality of vision
- High powers have more stability with less chances of regression (powers coming back)
- Those prone to dry eyes
- Those with corneal surface issues due to contact lens overuse
- Those in careers like frequent travels, extreme sports, Army, Navy, Air Force, Police, where recovery should be quick and safe
- Removes the disadvantages of discomfort and long recovery of other surface treatments like LASIK
During your consultation we will also consider other factors that may temporarily or permanently disqualify you from undergoing LASIK. These may include:
- Severe heart problems, especially those requiring the use of a pacemaker
- Diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, vascular disease, severe glaucoma, cataracts, ocular herpes simplex, or severe diabetes
If your refractive errors are not within these ranges, we will provide a further consultation to inform you of alternative choices of vision correction.